29 June 2012

IV - EXERCISES Modal verbs VI

Related grammar:

Modal verbs 

EXERCISE ONE

Complete with the modals can, could or with the conditional be able to:

1-      I……………………………….. never ……………………………….. to understand his handwriting.
2-      He used ……………………………….. to speak German well.
3-      If you spoke English, you ……………………………….. get a job in an international company.
4-      When I lived in Paris, I ……………………………….. go to the Louvre museum any time I wanted.
5-      I ……………………………….. see you this afternoon, if you want.
6-      When I pass the driving test, I ……………………………….. to drive anywhere I want.
7-       ……………………………….. you come to the party tomorrow?
8-      I love ……………………………….. to want what I want with my free time.
9-      The mechanic ……………………………….. to fix my car last week.
10-   To do this job you need ……………………………….. to use computers.

EXERCISE TWO

Complete with the modal could or with was/were able to (positive or negative forms):

1-      The police ……………………………….. (catch) the thief shortly after the robbery.
2-      He ……………………………….. (cycle) for hours when he was a kid and he wouldn't feel tired.
3-      She ………………………………..  (not/ write) until she was 10.
4-      We ………………………………..  (not/ fix) the central heating, so we had to call the technician.
5-      The house was on fire, but he ………………………………..  (escape) through the chimney.
6-      People ………………………………..  (not/travel) abroad under the communist regime.
7-      I ………………………………..  (study) all day and all night when I was a student.
8-      She ………………………………..  (answer) all the questions, so she failed her exam.

---------------------------------------------------------

EXERCISE ONE:
1. I have never been able to understand his handwriting.
2. He used to be able to speak German well.
3. If you spoke English, you could get a job in an international company.
4. When I lived in Paris, I could go to the Louvre museum any time I wanted.
5. I can see you this afternoon, if you want.
6. When I pass the driving test, I will be able to drive anywhere I want.
7. Can you come to the party tomorrow?
8. I love being able to want what I want with my free time.
9. The mechanic was able to fix my car last week.
10. To do this job you need to be able to use computers.

EXERCISE TWO:
1. The police were able to catch (catch) the thief shortly after the robbery.
2. He could cycle (cycle) for hours when he was a kid and he wouldn't feel tired.
3. She couldn't write (not/ write) until she was 10.
4. We weren't able to fix (not/ fix) the central heating, so we had to call the technician.
5. The house was on fire, but he was able to escape (escape) through the chimney.
6. People couldn't travel (not/travel) abroad under the communist regime.
7. I could study (study) all day and all night when I was a student.
8. She wasn't able to answer (answer) all the questions, so she failed her exam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment