04 May 2012

VII - VOCABULARY Family

Family Vocabulary

Your family members are also called your relatives. You have an immediate or nuclear family and an extended family. Your immediate family includes your father, mother and siblings. Your extended family includes all of the people in your father and mother's families.
Your sibling is your brother or sister. If you have 1 brother and 2 sisters, then you have 3 siblings. Your parent is your father or mother. Your child is your son or daughter. Your spouse is your husband or wife.
You may also have a stepfamily. Your stepfamily includes people who became part of your family due to changes in family life. These changes may include death, divorce or separation. New partnerships create new children. The new children and their relatives become part of your blended family. Some people are born into a stepfamily.

My relativesRelationship to MeI usually call
malefemalehim...her...
parentrelative of whom I am the childFather, Daddy, Dad, PapaMother, Mummy, Mum, Mommy, Mom, Mama, Ma
fathermother
siblingwe have the same father and motherfirst name; sometimes Brofirst name; sometimes Sis
brothersister
uncleauntsibling of my parentUncle [first name]Aunt/Auntie [first name]
grandparentparent of my parentGrandfather, GrandpaGrandmother, Grandma
grandfathergrandmother
cousinchild of my uncle or auntfirst name
spouserelative to whom I am marriedfirst name
husbandwife
childrelative of whom I am the parentfirst name
sondaughter
nephewniecechild of my siblingfirst name
grandchildchild of my childfirst name
grandsongranddaughter
great grandfathergreat grandmotherparent of my grandparentGreat GrandpaGreat Grandma
father-in-lawmother in-lawparent of my spousefirst name; Dadfirst name; Mum, Mom
brother-in-lawsister in-lawsibling of my spouse; spouse of my siblingfirst name
ex-husbandex-wifemy previous spouse (we divorced)first name
half-brotherhalf-sistermy sibling born to my father or mother but not bothfirst name
step-parentnew spouse of one of my parentsfirst name
step-fatherstep-mother
step-childchild of my spouse but not of mefirst name
step-sonstep-daughter
Generation: In a family, the word generation means all the people in one stage of the family. For example, your parents are one generation, you and your siblings are the next generation, and your children and their cousins are another generation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment